Benefits and How to Join
Benefits of Belonging
The Mission of Vermont Inn and Bed & Breakfast Association
VIBBA is here to enhance the success of your business. And collectively, we’ll accomplish this through the services, resources, and programs available from VIBBA to each member. VIBBA’s ongoing goal is to support all member properties by promoting the Vermont inn/B&B experience as a quality travel destination, as well as responding to the expressed needs and concerns of the membership.
Why You Should Become a Member
VIBBA is the only statewide non-profit organization dedicated solely to Vermont’s Inn/B&B industry. Benefit from one unified voice providing representation, advocacy, and proactive work with state legislation and governmental agencies that regulate our industry and affect you directly. Share your voice in matters including proposed laws, licensing, building codes, tourism funding, etc. VIBBA will increase awareness of the economic impact our industry has on the state.
- Membership: We are providing you with opportunities for networking, industry education, and friendship by continuing to add new members, having a presence at the Vermont Travel Summit, and hosting social gatherings.
- Marketing: We are making sure that you are always aware of and can access the ever-changing patterns of marketing and social media as indicated by our participation in a pay-per-click campaign for the VIBBA website that has generated a substantial increase in web traffic for our new organization; by promoting VIBBA on nationally syndicated television shows like “Wheel of Fortune”; and by continually investing in the design of the VIBBA website, most recently bringing it in line with Google requirements.
- Industry Awareness: We are corroborating and networking with national and state associations on your behalf by hosting exhibit booths at national association and state association conferences; by our attendance at the State Leadership Breakfast; and by VIBBA board members sitting on the founding board of the national innkeeping association, AIHP (Association of Independent Hospitality Professionals).
- Advocacy: We are ensuring that our voices are being heard on the state legislative level by having provided testimony at the State House on issues like mandated sick pay; by developing relationships with the Vermont Chamber of Commerce lobbying team to speak on our behalf; and by getting the word out on other legislative issues that negatively impact innkeepers so that YOU can be part of the solution.
- Partnerships: We are helping to make resources available to you by investigating possible partnerships with Vermont State Tourism, Efficiency Vermont, Vermont Visitor & Convention Bureau, the Vermont Chamber, and other local resources.
- Communications: We are keeping you in touch with fellow innkeepers by providing a dedicated, member-only Facebook Forum.
How to Join
To be a member of Vermont Inn and Bed & Breakfast Association, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be recognized by the State of Vermont with a valid license and maintain a passing score with the Vermont Department of Health.
- Have no more than forty-five (45) guestrooms.
- Include a prepared full or continental breakfast with your nightly rate.
- Operate a property that is personally attended by its owner and residential in nature.
- Do not operate a larger facility, such as a chain, hotel, motel, campground, restaurant, and those properties generally perceived as a hotel or motel.
- Print out and complete the VIBBA Application form (.pdf)
- Send application and a check (made out to VIBBA) for 1styear dues of $75 plus $5 per room ($200 maximum) to: Lynn Green, VIBBA Treasurer, Four Chimneys Inn, 21 West Road, Bennington, VT 05201
- Once your application is approved, your webpage will then be activated, and you will always have access to update and change your information anytime.
- Now that you are a member, copy and paste this logo in a prominent place on your own website. Be sure to embed a link to vermontwaytostay.com!!
Why is there a Booking.com Search Box on the VIBBA Site?
In 2016, Booking.com became a Strategic Partner with VIBBA. What this means is that for every search resulting in a booking from their booking tool on the VIBBA page, Booking.com pays VIBBA a percentage of their fee. These additional dollars, in addition to our Sponsor Partner dues, are used to support the projects and initiatives of the Vermont Inn and Bed & Breakfast Association over and above member dues.
Some might be concerned that this booking widget is drawing business away from VIBBA members. However, we are finding that VIBBA members are benefitting from this arrangement since it gives the traveler yet another opportunity to book with your property. Plus, the Booking.com widget is defaulted to automatically open up to inns and B&Bs and filter out hotels.
Every VIBBA member is encouraged to put their direct booking link on their profile page of the VIBBA site. Yet many do not and lose the chance to capture those travelers ready to make a decision at that moment. For those same members who are also part of Booking.com, this provides another chance for them to capture that reservation.
Affiliation with Booking.com is not a requirement of VIBBA. However, since Google does now require that lodging properties affiliate with some sort of OTA or be penalized in placement, we encourage members to take part. Most often, those who book via Booking.com do so because it is their booking tool of choice. It also has a huge international following as it is translated into most languages. And, innkeepers find that it is usually business that would not have been earned otherwise. But we also encourage you to only put your inventory on Booking.com for periods that would not fill organically such as peak and holiday periods.
Should you have any questions regarding membership in VIBBA, please be sure to contact any of our board members.
Feel free to contact any of the board members. We will be glad to talk to you about Vermont’s only organization dedicated to the inn and bed & breakfast industry.