The Mad River Valley near the center of Vermont, encompassing the quintessential small towns of Warren and Waitsfield, and the Sugarbush and Mad River Glen ski areas, epitomizes the nature of the state as a whole. In the valley:
- All the accommodation is locally owned and operated – no chains, no franchises – meaning that you will usually be greeted and taken care of by the people who own the B&B or small country inn you are staying at.
- All the restaurants are locally owned and operated allowing you to experience Vermont ingredients and cuisine at its best.
- Not a single set of traffic lights!
- Some of the best skiing in the north eastern part of the continent at Sugarbush with its two peaks and at the famed Mad River Glen – “ski it if you can” with its signature single chair. Great Nordic skiing trails in the valley as well, and snowshoeing.
- The Sugarbush golf course designed by renowned Robert Trent Jones Sr..
- One of America’s best Soaring (gliding) airports where experienced pilots will take you up to enjoy the incredible scenery of the hills and valleys from the silence of the skies.
- Great rivers and lakes for kayaking and canoeing.
- Hiking on the Green Mountain “Long Trail” and many other walking trails nearby.
- Cycling and mountain biking – Sugarbush runs their lifts in the summer from late June till early September so you can ride down without having to walk up!
- And more…
Where to stay – one of the best ways to experience Vermont hospitality is to stay at one of the many excellent B&Bs and small country inns that you can find right on this website.